Link - Age UK Wide .
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Manifesto.

+5
Papaumau
jacqui1948
REDNEOL
tigaroodit
ivanhoe
9 posters

Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty My Manifesto.

Post  ivanhoe Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am

My Manifesto.  Michael_parliament
I have lived in Brixham since 1987. Formerly from Guildford , Surrey. I spent 13 years at the post office as a postman from 1974 to 1987.  When I moved to Brixham in 1987 I was unemployed for the first time in my life and was forced to live on benefits, so anybody who thinks that living on benefits is easy forget it, it's not, so I took on several jobs, and then decided to start up my own window cleaning business, which I did successfully for over 20 years in and around the Brixham,  Churston, Paignton areas.

The three party system is now in turmoil.  If i'm elected to Parliament on behalf of the Totnes Constituency, I will make it my business to have the statue of Margaret Thatcher removed from the House of Commons, as Margaret Thatcher is responsible for Britain's attitudes and moral decline to date.

Young people today have nothing. They have neither security on the job front, a decent minimum wage , somewhere affordable or secure to live, and their prospects for their old age is the same as it is for the majority of Britain's elderly people today. IE: hardship , poverty and homelessness due to lack of social housing in this country and the low State Pension, plus the insecurity and expense of the private pension.

Britain needs Social housing throughout our country for people who cannot afford to buy. This was the intentions of council housing years ago, the reason for our housing crisis today and indeed the shortage of social council housing in general in this country  and region is because the Tory Government OF 1979, under Margaret Thatcher, stopped building council houses throughout the 80's and 90's.

What Britain definitely needs is a universal social housing programme initiated by central government because there will always be young people wanting a secure home to rent somewhere in this country, and at any time. We must get our young people out of the financial trap of means tested high rent private sector.

I have worked tirelessly over the past 20 years writing about elderly people's State pension rights,  and the need for social housing in this country for younger people, and I would support both the young and the old in the House Of Commons.  I would not be bound by political restrictions on party issues, but I would be an independent with an independent mind.

I know that with this country's real wealth we can afford a decent State Pension for our elderly people, and nobody young or old should be without secure housing in this day and age, particularly in a country that reports to live by a set of civilised values.

The State Pension also must also be substantially increased for today's and tomorrow's pensioners, and directly linked to increases in national prosperity. This is what National Insurance contributions are for. There should be no means testing for miserly handouts after paying into the system all their working lives. This generation should also be exempt from paying income tax on their savings and income because they have also payed their share of income tax throughout a working life .

We must end the lottery of Community Care for the elderly. Council tax should be abolished because it is an unjust, and unfair tax , because Council tax is not based on '' ABILITY TO PAY ''. British workers pay the lowest income tax rates in Western Europe, which is why ''LOCAL'' taxes have increased by stealth since the 80's.  We are witnessing and experiencing a dwindling State since the 80's, which is continuing under this coalition Government in favour of privatisation and charities.

To return to a cohesive society we must place emphasis on the National Insurance scheme to unfold financial security in retirement for today and in the future for our young people.

Also our young students should not have to fund their own education , particularly as Britain and the British will benefit from our University educated students in years to come.  Also Atos is a disgrace, if not already done, I would stop their practices on the disabled, and increase disability benefits immediately.   I would fight for this in the House of Commons.

The reason I am standing as an independent for Parliament at this general election is because the UK's elderly generation have been forgotten for over 30 years , our elderly people are the forgotten millions. I am appalled at the coalitions attacks on the vulnerable.  And these cuts are ideological and voter winnings reasons.  They have nothing to do with a costing.  It is all about Tory arrogance toward the welfare State and the vulnerable.

MANIFESTO KEY POINTS.  

1. UK pensioners to receive a much higher State pension. thus making no need for means tested or none means tested State handouts.

2. No old person should have to endure hypothermia related illness due to lack of heating.  No old person should have to go hungry because of lack of food.  We can afford middle east Wars.  We can afford to look after our elderly people with dignity.

3. Margaret Thatcher's statue to be removed from the House of Commons.  Margaret Thatcher is responsible for Britain's attitudes and moral decline to date.

Britain has been funding it's vital services for over 30 years via low income tax trickle down economics.  And far less of our Gross National Product than any leading industrialised European country.  This must change.    We must have a fair redistribution of wealth in this country.

I am able to stand at this general election due to my late mother , and a promise I made some years ago before she passed away aged 80 plus.

My mother was a very strong character who raised my brother and sister and myself, alone after my father died following his service fighting for his country in Korea. My mother stopped making a life for herself . She dedicated her entire life to raising her three children alone .

During her life my mother worked at all manner of jobs and instilled into us all a strong sense of community and more importantly a strong social conscience.

She was the kind of person who always had time to help others and always felt that people who needed help should indeed be helped and not just left alone , especially in retirement or bereavement. My mother was a genuine and very sincere person.

My mum asked me before she died to stand as an independent for Parliament , again , because she knew I stood before in 2005 as an independent. My mum knew I wanted to make a difference.  She knew I was willing to say what other people were thinking.

When my mother passed away a long time ago  she left me in her will the deposit for standing.

So in her memory I'm doing just that , after all , the person I am today is all down to her strength , love and support.

MICHAEL THOMPSON

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/56676

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/51449

Please note everybody. My lovely wife passed away in Torbay Hospital in September last year 2014, she had cancer, and she battled the disease for around 11 months, we were married 22 years. My wife's demise has naturally taken a huge toll on me and as such I regret I now wont be standing as an Independent for parliament at this general election.

Michael

Last edited by ivanhoe on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 am; edited 48 times in total
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty This old man fought for this country and paid his taxes & NI contributions when working.

Post  ivanhoe Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 am

My Manifesto.  00411

Last edited by ivanhoe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty This old lady is one of millions in this country alone and cold and hungry.

Post  ivanhoe Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 am

My Manifesto.  Johns210
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty Old couple.

Post  ivanhoe Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 pm

There are millions of pensioner couples around this country, like this couple, wondering why they are struggling to live in a Britain that this old gentleman funded into when working via taxes and NI contributions.?????

My Manifesto.  Images11

Last edited by ivanhoe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty Re: My Manifesto.

Post  tigaroodit Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 am

As you know, I have read some of these before especially your manifesto. I do agree wholeheartedly about the conflict of heating on/ heating off as I have just retired and I am setting time limits already for myself in which I can have the fire on in my living room! during this cold spell!

tigaroodit

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 am

tigaroodit wrote:As you know, I have read some of these before especially your manifesto. I do agree wholeheartedly about the conflict of heating on/ heating off as I have just retired and I am setting time limits already for myself in which I can have the fire on in my living room! during this cold spell!

Hi, and welcome. The majority of Britain's 12 million pensioners have been suffering this since Thatcher broke the State pensions link with earnings in 1980, over 30 years ago.

Last edited by ivanhoe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  REDNEOL Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am

Hello tigaroodit , great to have you onboard the forum , building Link-Age UK into an informative place to question the government and the nefarious policies regarding UK pensioners and also pensioners elsewhere . bounce
REDNEOL
REDNEOL
Admin

https://la65.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tigaroodit Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 am

Hi Redneol, as you can see, I have just joined the merry band of retirees in this country! Only 3 months in so far, not such a good idea starting in the winter but I'll certainly find out whether I can afford to live here before I look for a "toyboy" in the south of France! Lol! Struggling a bit at present but I will adapt I hope!

tigaroodit

Back to top Go down

Post  jacqui1948 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 am

Hello Michael,

I read your manifesto and applaud you for standing as an independent. I have never really been politically minded, although I have always insisted on voting (considering women had to fight and even die for my right to do so). It sickens me when I see the way pensioners are treated while big businesses pay their top employees huge salaries and even find ways to wheedle out of paying taxes in whichever way they can. I also fear for my children as they struggle to make ends meet and don't have pensions because it's bad enough just living from day to day, without finding extra money to put aside. Housing is also an issue. Ever since Maggie Thatcher paved the way for people to buy their council houses (after all, private houseowners tend to vote Conservative was the thinking of the day), I've known that this policy would cause problems in the long-run because, as youngsters left home and needed affordable places to rent, there just wouldn't be enough council housing for them.

Keep up the good fight.

jacqui1948

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:07 am

[quote="jacqui1948"][b]Hello Michael,

I read your manifesto and applaud you for standing as an independent. I have never really been politically minded, although I have always insisted on voting (considering women had to fight and even die for my right to do so). It sickens me when I see the way pensioners are treated while big businesses pay their top employees huge salaries and even find ways to wheedle out of paying taxes in whichever way they can. I also fear for my children as they struggle to make ends meet and don't have pensions because it's bad enough just living from day to day, without finding extra money to put aside. Housing is also an issue. Ever since Maggie Thatcher paved the way for people to buy their council houses (after all, private houseowners tend to vote Conservative was the thinking of the day), I've known that this policy would cause problems in the long-run because, as youngsters left home and needed affordable places to rent, there just wouldn't be enough council housing for them.

Keep up the good fight.
[/quote]

Hello Jacqui, Thank you for registering with my site, and your bang on, housing is a whopping issue since Margaret Thatcher stopped building council houses throughout the 80's and 90's, today's young people will never get out of the means test trap, and insecurity of the high rents private sector.

On the subject matter, the reason the State pension is so low is because Thatcher ( again ), broke the State pensions link with earnings in 1980, and then linked the State pension to inflation, and the State pensions has whittled away to way below the poverty line.

There are many sections on my site, please browse them and feel free to leave comments. May I ask how you heard of my site ?
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jacqui1948 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:04 pm

[b[b]]Hi Michael, I found your website via Grey Pride. I think the present pension system is hugely unfair and something does need to be done to redress it. But I honestly don't know what. I retired four years ago now and, until now, was freelancing so I have had money apart from the pension money to fall back on. I needed to do this to ensure that the last that I owed on the house was there to pay off the mortgage. But I have now stopped taking in freelancing, and the acid test is about to begin! If I really have to, I am in the fortunate position of being able to go and get at least a parttime job - although I personally do think that the youngsters without jobs should be taking up the slack. And any government that says that pensioners should be working in jobs which younger people so desperately need is an extremely irresponsible government. Sure, when all of the younger people are in jobs, and there are plenty more spaces going around, then obviously we 'oldies' should be going for it. Perhaps it's just me, but I was sickened recently when I saw the 98 year old woman still serving in a pub. Ok, so she's proved that we can all carry on working if we want to - but what about some younger person doing her job and getting themselves our of the poverty trap? [b][b]The only way this is going to happen is if we are all given a decent pension to live off of. Instead, it seems that this present government is determined to turn us into a third world country almost overnight. We're sure heading that way. [/b][/b][/b][/b]

jacqui1948

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

jacqui1948 wrote:[b][b][b[b][b][b]]Hi Michael, I found your website via Grey Pride. I think the present pension system is hugely unfair and something does need to be done to redress it. But I honestly don't know what. I retired four years ago now and, until now, was freelancing so I have had money apart from the pension money to fall back on. I needed to do this to ensure that the last that I owed on the house was there to pay off the mortgage. But I have now stopped taking in freelancing, and the acid test is about to begin! If I really have to, I am in the fortunate position of being able to go and get at least a parttime job - although I personally do think that the youngsters without jobs should be taking up the slack. And any government that says that pensioners should be working in jobs which younger people so desperately need is an extremely irresponsible government. Sure, when all of the younger people are in jobs, and there are plenty more spaces going around, then obviously we 'oldies' should be going for it. Perhaps it's just me, but I was sickened recently when I saw the 98 year old woman still serving in a pub. Ok, so she's proved that we can all carry on working if we want to - but what about some younger person doing her [b]job and getting themselves our of the poverty trap? [b]The only way this is going to happen is if we are all given a decent pension to live off of. Instead, it seems that this present government is determined to turn us into a third world country almost overnight. We're sure heading that way. [/b][/b]
[/b]
Hi Jacqui, Welcome to my site. Have you looked at all my postings yet ?, and/or my U-tube broadcasts. ?

This country has has been sliding into an abyss since Margaret Thatcher began rolling back to the State and bringing in a low waged, short term, market lead work base in this country since the 80's. She also cut the link that kept the State pension increasing with British prosperity, hence the State pensions low value today.

What we are all experiencing under David Cameron is the continued devolution of the State, including the welfare State, and the State pension out from under us, young people have nothing. No jobs, no housing, no pensions. And the majority of elderly people are suffering equal hardship.

Have you signed my petition ?, I asked because my petition effects both the old today, and the young when they are old.

The bottom line on all this is that the right wing of the Tory party/Government have an inherrant loathing of the role of the State and the welfare State, and so they are using the deficit as a cover to reduce and or get rid of both.

None of this started under Cameron. It all began under Thatcher, then continued under New Labour, Cameron is merely finishing the job with the help of a compliant BBC media.

[/b]
[/b][/b][/b][/b]

Last edited by ivanhoe on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Papaumau Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 am

Got off to a good start Ivanhoe.

I hope that your site gets all of the support it deserves.

Regards....

Papaumau
Papaumau
Papaumau

http://rippedoffbritain.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 am

Papaumau wrote:Got off to a good start Ivanhoe.

I hope that your site gets all of the support it deserves.

Regards....

Papaumau

Thanks Papa.

Ivanhoe
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty Jacqui1948

Post  tigaroodit Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Jacqui,

Dear Jacqui,

I agree with all the comments you have made re retirement. I stopped working at the age of 65 and I am now 3 months into my new life. I could have continued working but enough is enough and a good friend of mine is now doing my job(God help her!). I know that I'm going to struggle and will need to give up a lot things that I am used to. It is frightening, especially in the middle of night when I can't sleep! I can't believe that our elected government don't understand the privations that many people are suffering. It's a case of "I'm alright Jack". I worked for 48 years and paid my taxes and national insurance contributions in full. I DO feel that I am entitled to enough money to feed myself, have a reasonable standard and to be warm! That is what we were promised!

cheers Tigaroodit.

tigaroodit

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

tigaroodit wrote:Hi Jacqui,

Dear Jacqui,

I agree with all the comments you have made re retirement. I stopped working at the age of 65 and I am now 3 months into my new life. I could have continued working but enough is enough and a good friend of mine is now doing my job(God help her!). I know that I'm going to struggle and will need to give up a lot things that I am used to. It is frightening, especially in the middle of night when I can't sleep! I can't believe that our elected government don't understand the privations that many people are suffering. It's a case of "I'm alright Jack". I worked for 48 years and paid my taxes and national insurance contributions in full. I DO feel that I am entitled to enough money to feed myself, have a reasonable standard and to be warm! That is what we were promised!

cheers Tigaroodit.

The pensioners of today have been struggling for over 30 years on a diminished State pension since the earnings link was cut by Margaret Thatcher in 1980.

The I'm all right jack" attitude spawned from the me me me era of the 80's.

200 pensioners die every day through the Winter months. Our non elected right wing Tory lead coalition dont believe in the State pension, any more than New Labour did prior to this coalition forming, any more than the Thatcher/Major years did 1979- 1997. Both were elected to run this country.
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty What a manifesto

Post  Dalesman Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Michael, I like the manifesto you are standing on, such a shame more would be Parliamentarians don't / wont stand on a similar manifesto...I stood for Parliament in 2010 came third out of 9 so not too bad....I might stand again if I can find funding for it... good luck with it all I wish Parliament was full of MPs who believed in what you do... Andy :-)
Dalesman
Dalesman

http://www.rankine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Dalesman wrote:Hi Michael, I like the manifesto you are standing on, such a shame more would be Parliamentarians don't / wont stand on a similar manifesto...I stood for Parliament in 2010 came third out of 9 so not too bad....I might stand again if I can find funding for it... good luck with it all I wish Parliament was full of MPs who believed in what you do... Andy :-)

Thank you Andy. I also stood as an Independent for Parliament in 2005, and got 199 votes. I naturally came last in Totnes Devon.

Michael
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikruiser Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:11 am

Hi Michael,

I just found this page/group via your post on Facebook in None of the Above, and ConDemned Fight Back. I'm happy to add my support to this group, and look forward to being a part of it.
I'm not really a political person, but feel it is important to vote whenever the opportunity arises. The problem is, we are just voting for a different coloured tie - there is nothing to choose between any of the main parties - individuals just get sucked in to the party line, and as soon as they are elected, the manifesto goes out of the window!

Mikruiser.
Mikruiser
Mikruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:02 am

Mikruiser wrote:Hi Michael,

I just found this page/group via your post on Facebook in None of the Above, and ConDemned Fight Back. I'm happy to add my support to this group, and look forward to being a part of it.
I'm not really a political person, but feel it is important to vote whenever the opportunity arises. The problem is, we are just voting for a different coloured tie - there is nothing to choose between any of the main parties - individuals just get sucked in to the party line, and as soon as they are elected, the manifesto goes out of the window!

Mikruiser.
Hi Mikruiser,

Thanks for your posting. You are saying what loads of people are saying. I dont know your age, but here's the score.

For over 30 years in Britain, since the 80's, the British electorate have managed to elect right wing Government, even New Labour under Tony Blair 1997- 2010, were right wing. That's the bottom line. Any questions feel free to ask.

Ivanhoe
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Manifesto.  Empty The Peoples Voice

Post  dornochian Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 am

Hi,

I saw you on TPV talking to Sonia Poulton and was very interested in what you had to say. I managed to track you to this forum, I'm interested in helping from a practical point so if you would like to get in touch, please contact me via aboutdornoch . org . uk and we can have a natter.

I've posted the e-petitions via my FB page and to other groups, I'll also Tweet them, keep up the good work...

Steve

dornochian

Back to top Go down

Post  Parsley Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 pm

I remember visiting Morwelham Quay, near Tavistock, a number of years ago. One thing which remains in my mind after this visit was a small piece on the wall where it said 'people wept with joy when the old age pension was introduced'.

I think people do not realise that when this pension is ground away, it will take a seismic shift to bring it back. Therefore in all liklihood it will be confined to the history book. We need to raise these concerns amongst people of all generations and take a campaign for a Living Pension to the public and politicians.

Parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanhoe Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:01 am

Parsley wrote:I remember visiting Morwelham Quay, near Tavistock, a number of years ago. One thing which remains in my mind after this visit was a small piece on the wall where it said 'people wept with joy when the old age pension was introduced'.

I think people do not realise that when this pension is ground away, it will take a seismic shift to bring it back. Therefore in all liklihood it will be confined to the history book. We need to raise these concerns amongst people of all generations and take a campaign for a Living Pension to the public and politicians.

Well said Parsley. I've believed for a very long time that the low level of State pension that our elderly people are forced to live on should be raised among the younger generations, and that they should fight for a decent State pension for our elderly people.

Ivanhoe.
ivanhoe
ivanhoe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum